INDIANAPOLIS (May 4, 2023) – Indiana Destination Development Corporation (IDDC) is celebrating "IN Indiana Week" in conjunction with National Travel and Tourism Week (NTTW) from May 7 to 13, 2023.
Established in 1983, NTTW is an annual tradition to celebrate the U.S. travel and tourism industry and its essential role in stimulating economic growth, cultivating vibrant communities, creating quality job opportunities, inspiring new businesses and elevating the quality of life for Americans every day. Indiana's tourism industry has a significant impact on the state's economy. According to a Rockport Analytics study, out of each dollar spent within the tourism industry, $0.65 stays in Indiana. Indiana tourism genera5es approximately $1.4 billion in state and local taxes, saving Hoosier households an average of $526 in taxes. Indiana's tourism industry also supports nearly 180,000 full-time jobs.
Throughout IN Indiana Week, the IDDC is partnering with several organizations, including the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, to do outreach in key markets and encourage tourism in the Hoosier state.
"National Travel and Tourism Week is a wonderful time for us to celebrate Hoosier tourism, show our visitors how great Indiana is and what we have to offer when they get here," said Lt. Gov. Suzanne Crouch, Indiana's Secretary of Agriculture and Rural Development. "Through the efforts of our tourism industry workers across the state, Indiana has been consistently improving its reputation when it comes to being a destination for travel and tourism."
IN Indiana Week Agenda:
- Sunday, May 7: The Department of Natural Resources is offering free admission to all Indiana State Parks. It is also a free fishing day.
- Monday, May 8: IDDC staff visits Chicago, Illinois at Grant Park Congress Plaza with Indy 500 pace car, "Life is Sweeter IN Indiana" ice cream and promotional items for Indiana tourism.
- Tuesday, May 9: Check in to any location on the Indiana Culinary Trails Passport during IN Indiana week to be entered to win a gift card to Triple XXX Family Restaurant in West Lafayette.
- Wednesday, May 10: IDDC staff visits St. Louis, Missouri at Old Post Office Plaza with Indy 500 pace car, "Life is Sweeter IN Indiana" ice cream and promotional items for Indiana tourism.
- Thursday, May 11: Check in to any location on the Indiana Arts and Culture Passport during IN Indiana Week to be entered to win a VIP 4 Pack Free Entry and Drink Token to the Lincoln Amphitheatre in Lincoln City.
- Friday, May 12: IDDC staff visits Louisville, Kentucky at Fourth Street Live! with Indy 500 pace car, "Life is Sweeter IN Indiana" ice cream and promotional items for Indiana tourism.
- Saturday, May 13: Check in to any location on the Indiana State Nature Passport during IN Indiana Week to be entered to win an Indiana State Parks Inns gift card.
"IN Indiana Week is a great opportunity for us to extend our efforts in promoting and telling Indiana's authentic story further than we have before," said IDDC Secretary and CEO Elaine Bedel. "We hope to invite as many people as possible to visit and experience all of the great things Indiana is home to. From our rich culture and beautiful parks, to our delicious food and unique things to do, Indiana is excited to welcome our visitors with our iconic Midwest Hoosier hospitality."
For more information about things to do in Indiana, click here.
For more information about Indiana Passports, click here.