Indiana Fast Facts
Looking for Indiana facts for your travel and tourism story? Below is some helpful information. If you don't see what you're looking for, contact Amy Howell at 317-232-8897 or amhowell@VisitIndiana.com with your specific questions.
- Founded: 1816
- Population: 6.597 million
- Size: 16th most populous state and 38th largest in area
- Most-Populous Cities: Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Evansville, South Bend, Carmel
- Popular Destinations: Indiana Dunes National Park, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Children's Museum of Indianapolis, Holiday World & Splashin' Safari, French Lick Resort
- Agritourism: Winery & brewery trails, farm-to-fork restaurants, U-pick markets, Fair Oaks Farms
- Professional Sports Teams: Indianapolis Colts, Indiana Pacers, Indiana Fever, Fort Wayne Mad Ants, Fort Wayne TinCaps, Indianapolis Indians, Indy Fuel, Fort Wayne Komets, Indy Eleven
- Time Zones: Eastern Time Zone except for the 6 northwest counties and 6 southwest counties, which are Central Time Zone. Indiana observes Daylight Saving Time.
- Weather: All four seasons
- Counties: 92
- Altitude: Average is 760 feet above sea level. Highest is Hoosier Hill in Wayne County at 1,257 above sea level. Lowest is 320 feet above sea level in Posey County.
- Major River Systems: Whitewater, White, Blue, Wabash, St. Joseph and Maumee
- Racial and Ethnic Diversity: 86.8% White American, 9.4% African American, 6.2% Hispanic or Latino, 1.7% Asian, 1.7% biracial or multi-racial, .4% Native American, .1% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders
- Airports: Indianapolis International Airport, Evansville Regional Airport, Fort Wayne International Airport, South Bend Regional Airport
- Major U.S. Interstates: I-64, I-65, I-265, I-865, I-69, I-469, I-70, I-74, I-80, I-90, I-94 and I-275
Media 1-Sheeter Features:
- New in 2020
- Unique Destinations
- Media Mentions
- Must-See Attractions
- Places Worth Celebrating
Features various locations around Indiana that have won various awards such as South Bend winning the College Town Award and Turkey Run winning the Nature Hike Award.